Botsaris' tower museum
The impressive, fort-like building complex is situated to the north of the Port square, right next to the western gate of the fortress. It was built in two stages in the 15th and 16th century and constituted, initially, the see of the Venetian governor (providetor) and the Latin bishopric; thereafter it was the house of the governors of the city. After the liberation of Naupaktos in 1829 it became property of the general Notis Botsaris, from Souli, and is hence known as “Botsaris' tower”. Nowadays it belongs to the Dimitrios and Aegli Botsaris' foundation and it hosts a permanent exhibition about the Naval Battle of Lepanto (1571): Spanish mails, flags and banners of the countries which took part at the battle as well as copies of paintings of the battle by well-known painters which are on display in European museums, dipinti and miniatures of the ships of that era.The museum is open daily from 9 a.m. To 1 p.m. Tel. 26340 29779
It is situated in the second landing from the sea, in the neighborhood of Vezyr Camii and consists of a two-storeyd house built of stone, typical of the folk architecture of the Late Ottσman period. It was the house of the Tzavellas family, of which one member, namely Nikolos Tzavellas, became the first mayor of the liberated city. It is a listed monument, it was recently restored and it hosts the 22nd Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities.
Pharmakis' museum of 1821 mementos
On Pharmakis square, right in the city centre, is located the private “Pharmakis museum of 1821 mementos”. It hosts a permanent exhibition with exhibits belonging to the Pharmakis family: uniforms, guns, rifles, medals and mementos from the Greek War for Independence; the central personnage is the military leader from Karavara, Yiannis Pharmakis. Tel. 26340-27084
One of the several architectural landmarks of the city, recognizable by all Naupaktians, is the clock-tower, built in 1914 on one of the bastions of the second landing of the fortress by the Metropolitan bishop Serapheim Domboitis. The site is ideal for enjoying the view over the Corinthian Gulf.
Above the port there is a paved street with two-storeyed buildings, where formerly lay the city marketplace, known also as “Stenopazaro” (=narrow market). Nowadays many old shops and taverns have been transformed into cafeterias and restaurants with local delicacies. A walk in the Stenopazaro is a tourist attraction, whereas at the end of the street is situated the mansion of the politician and writer George Athanassiades-Novas, originating from Naupaktos; the mansion is striking due to the beautiful gardens that surround it.