The ancient sanctuaries of Asclepius in Naupaktos and Skala
The Asklepieion of Nafpaktos
The Asklepieion of Nafpaktos, an ancient sanctuary dedicated to the cult of Asklepios, god of medicine and health, is situated at the easternmost tip of the hill called Tsoukari, close to the spring of Kefalovrysso, beyond the walls of the ancient city. It was already derelict at the time of Pausanias, who narrates a local tradition about the foundation of the sanctuary by a private citizen, called Phalysios, who suffered from an eye disease. According to Pausanias, Asklepios sent the poetess Anyte with a sealed tablet to Phalysios, urging him to read it. Phalysios broke the seal and tried to read and then was completely cured; as a sign of gratitude he offered Anyte 2000 golden staters and founded the sanctuary of the god. The location of the sanctuary was first identified by Well at 1879. Nowadays what is left is a pediment, measuring roughly 12 by 15, carved on the rock, and a coarsely levelled natural rock, about 3.5 meters high, which had been used as a wall for writing inscriptions. From these inscriptions, at least 8 initially, not much is legible apart from some letters. Inscribed stones from the sanctuary had been used as building material by local inhabitants.